3-D Printing Services
The Okotoks Public library is proud to offer our new 3D printing service to the public!
We can accept and print the following file formats: .stl, .obj, .3mf
The cost to have something 3D printed is $0.10 per gram, plus a $5.00 setup fee. Once you have submitted your file, we will use our software to determine the cost. Payment must be made prior to having your object printed via e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that for some objects, extra support material will need to be printed to prevent it from collapsing or sagging. This extra material will be included in the cost. You will be responsible for the removal of this support material; the Okotoks Public Library will not assume responsibility for any damage or injuries caused by the removal of the support material.
- You will be responsible for ensuring that the object you are submitting to be printed is a viable print (i.e. structurally sound). Material costs for a failed print will not be refunded.
- The Okotoks Public Library is unable to print any jobs that will require more than 9 hours of printing time. You will be contacted when your print job has finished and is ready to be picked up from the library during our regular open hours.
- The Okotoks Public Library cannot guarantee a completion date for your object. Projects will be prioritized based on printing time and staff availability.
- The Okotoks Public Library staff reserve the right to refuse to any 3D printing requests.
- The Okotoks Public Library will not print anything that appears to be a weapon or part of a weapon.
- You, as the patron submitting a file to be printed, will be responsible for ensuring that your submission does not violate copyright or intellectual property rights.
- Okotoks Public Library will not make any modifications to a submitted file. Any files submitted are assumed to be final, ready-to-print versions.
- You may not use the library’s 3D printing service in a commercial capacity.
- Okotoks Public Library will assume ownership of all 3D printed objects not picked up within one month of the printing date.
What kind of 3D printer do we have?
We have an Ultimaker 2+, which prints using PLA material at the following settings:
Nozzle Size: 0.4 mm
Infill Percentage: 20%
Layer Height: 0.1 mm
Our 3D printer is able to print in one colour at a time only – however, you may paint on your printed model if you wish.
Where do I find objects to print?
You can find a large variety of objects to print at Thingiverse.com! Please note that Thingiverse is not affiliated with the Okotoks Public Library – the objects found there are submitted by users.
If you would like to try designing your own object, we suggest using Tinkercad. This program is a free and easy-to-learn 3D modelling tool.
How do I submit a request to 3D print an object?
“Please use this form to submit your request! We will contact you with a quote for the cost of your object within 3-4 business days. Please keep an eye on your Junk/Spam email folder for our reply. Once your object has been approved and paid for, we will begin printing it as promptly as we are able to; however, we are unable to guarantee a completion date for your object, as printing jobs may need to be prioritized based on printing time and staff availability.”